Children are impressionable and like to mimic. When children are young, parents and other caregivers are responsible for teaching them how to make good choices in all areas of their life, including how to live a healthy lifestyle. When good habits are formed early, it’s easy for children to carry them through their entire lives.
Six ways to help your child lead a healthy lifestyle
September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, and the skilled specialists at Beltre Bariatrics want to share six ways you can help your child live a healthy lifestyle through adulthood:
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet filled with leafy greens, whole grains, lean meats and a variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly and engage in fun, recreational activities with your kids.
- Provide regular meal and snack times.
- Set appropriate limits on screen time.
- Help children develop and maintain body positivity.
- Avoid restrictive diets and excessive exercise regimens. Keep it fun!
How to guide your kids to healthier eating
Here are a few ways you can help guide your kids toward a healthy relationship with food and avoid childhood obesity:
- Make a schedule
Kids typically need to eat every three to four hours, so try making a meal, snack and beverage schedule to keep them full and hydrated with healthy foods.
- Plan dinners
Planning meals, especially dinners, ahead of time can help parents prepare well-balanced meals and avoid fast or processed foods when pressed for time.
- Make breakfast count
Breakfast is the perfect time to fill their bellies with fiber, especially before a rigorous school day, because it takes longer to digest and will keep them feeling fuller for longer.
If you’d like to learn more about our weight loss procedures, support groups or are looking for nutritional guidance, please contact Beltre Bariatrics at 407-863-6897.