It’s a trusism to say that habits are hard to break. Yet perhaps the most difficult habits to change revolve around food—what and how we eat. Our eating habits build up over our entire lifetime, starting even in childhood, and so it should come as no surprise that altering these habits is challenging, frustrating, and nearly impossible to do without help. Why?
- We can’t just “quit” eating: we need food to survive.
- Temptations are everywhere: many social activities revolve around eating and drinking.
- Getting the right information can be confusing and difficult.
- Unhealthy foods often taste the best and can be difficult to resist.
Anyone who tells you that weight loss is easy is probably trying to sell you something. The fact is that improving your health and losing weight is difficult. But it is not impossible, especially if you are willing make the commitment to real lifestyle changes and to participate in a long-term support system with individuals dedicated to guiding and supporting you through your entire weight loss journey.
WON’T WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY CAUSE ME TO LOSE WEIGHT REGARDLESS OF MY EATING HABITS?
Metabolic and bariatric surgery is designed to help you lose weight by restricting your food intake and altering the way your body processes food. Your body may even undergo metabolic changes that make it more efficient at processing food energy, or that make sugary, fatty foods unappealing. However, for your weight loss to be truly successful and permanent, surgery itself is not enough.
Metabolic or bariatric procedure must be accompanied by a lifetime commitment to making healthy food choices to ensure that your body receives the nutrients it needs, while avoiding serious risks such as vitamin deficiencies and dumping syndrome.
HOW WILL PARTICIPATION IN A LONG-TERM SUPPORT NETWORK HELP?
Weight loss surgery is just the first step in your weight loss journey. The next step begins the moment you start your recovery. One of the most powerful tools at your disposal is regular participation in guided support group meetings, such as those led by the weight loss experts at the Center for Metabolic and Obesity Surgery. These meetings will help you:
- Educate yourself. You will learn how to implement the lifestyle changes necessary for your medical needs, as well as get real, easy-to-understand answers to any questions you may have.
- Find encouragement: Sharing successes and setbacks with individuals facing the same struggle will help build on those successes and ensure that setbacks are only temporary.
- Know you are not alone: Changing a lifetime of eating habits is hard. Knowing others who are facing the same challenge can make the process seem less daunting and give you the encouragement you need to make your weight loss journey a success.
Board certified surgeon Dr. Wiljon Beltre at the Center for Metabolic and Obesity Surgery in Altamonte Springs, Florida, offers a multifaceted approach to weight loss, coupling cutting-edge weight loss surgery with a long-term support network of caring, experienced weight loss experts. If have tried—and failed—to lose weight and believe you may be ready for weight loss surgery, we encourage you to attend an informational seminar or contact our office for a free, individual consultation. We look forward to hearing from you!
To find out more about the procedures & treatments performed by Orlando Bariatric Surgeon, Dr. Wiljon Beltre, at The Center for Metabolic and Obesity Surgery Call 407-830-6868 or Click Here to Schedule a Consultation.
Please note: If the weight is regained, diabetes and other conditions could return.