We all know that sticking to a healthy diet seems like a great option and an easy enough feat on paper to achieve a long-term healthy lifestyle. The truth is that maintaining a balanced diet can feel impossible during certain times of the year.
From holidays centered around food like Thanksgiving to vacations where many people live the “treat yourself” lifestyle, overindulgence may feel hard to avoid. Knowing what to eat on holiday to stay slim can feel overwhelming, but healthy eating, especially with weight loss in mind, is all about moderation and healthy food consumption.
Controlling how much you eat, what types of food you consume, and how often you eat are the three most important aspects of maintaining a balanced diet and healthy weight.
Overeating, even on occasion, such as a holiday, can quickly lead to an increased appetite that could bring you down the long and winding path toward obesity and obesity-related health conditions.
Whether you’re struggling with excess weight, trying to drop pounds with no significant results, or are dealing with an insatiable appetite and overeating tendencies, our experienced weight-loss team at Beltre Bariatrics is here to get to the bottom of your weight-related issues and help you stay slim during the holiday season and beyond.
Let’s explore what to eat on holiday to stay slim in more detail.
What to Eat on Holiday to Stay Slim
When it comes to food, especially on holiday, contents matter. Often, holidays are filled with restaurant trips and big portion sizes that are laden with hidden fats, oils, and high salt content.
While restaurants are not off-limits on vacation or during the holiday season, there are certain things to be mindful of whether you eat in or dine out.
Here are the do’s and don’ts of holiday eating.
- Aim to maintain a rainbow plate filled with a healthy balance of fruit, vegetables, meat, and complex carbohydrates
- Eat a protein-rich breakfast to keep you fuller longer
- Consume healthy snacks like nuts, olives, and low-fat dairy
- Ask for dressings and sauce on the side to avoid the added calories, fats, and sodium to healthy meals
- Eat smaller meals every couple of hours to keep your blood sugar balanced
- Drink plenty of water
- Keep track of your meals and snacks to avoid overconsumption
- Keep your alcohol consumption to a minimum
- Enjoy your holiday and maintain a healthy relationship with food.
- Splurge on sweets, treats, and desserts after each meal
- Eat foods high in fat, simple carbohydrates, sugar, or salt
- Get carried away and increase portion sizes
- Skip regular meals to consume one large meal at the end of the day
- Avoid white foods such as white rice, white bread, and white pasta that can cause unnecessary but drastic spikes in your blood sugar levels
- Snack continually between meals
- Overthink every piece of food you put in your mouth
Other Effective Ways to Maintain Your Weight
Food is the main aspect of a healthy weight and staying slim, but other factors are also at play.
Along with maintaining a balanced diet on holiday, also try to
- Keep moving and exercise regularly, even if it’s just a long walk after dinner
- Get enough sleep
- Stick to your doctor’s specific orders around food consumption, especially if you’ve recently undergone bariatric surgery
Expert Weight Loss Surgery You Can Count On
If you’ve been living with an insatiable appetite or are struggling to lose weight on your own after diet changes, we can help.
Beltre Bariatrics offers a variety of weight loss options to assist you in losing weight and keeping it off for good.
Contact our team of bariatric experts today to schedule a free consultation and determine if weight loss surgery is right for you.